Saturday, February 13, 2016

Interesting Retelling

When I read "retelling" of a classic, I always think of it as just an interpretation of a story that needs not be retold. The classics are fantastic and should be left alone, but we all know that some retellings have been just as good as the originals.  Shylock Is My Name by Howard Jacobson is a really good retelling and I did not think it would be such a page turner. I found Jacobson's character interpretations one of the reasons I kept reading this book and the second would be the modernizing of anthisemitic topic. It is so relevant lately that this book will add to the indelible magnitude of racial tension. In this book, Shylock and Strulovitch are friends with bad daughters trying to handle their comings and goings. Of all of the relationships in this book I apprecitaed Shylock and Strulovitch the most. These two men were not only dealing with the fact that they are discriminated but they are dealing with rambunctious daughters shaming their families in unbelievable ways leaving them in pieces. So many aspects of this story are relatable that you can enjoy this story without thinking of Shakespeare's original. I received a copy for this review from blogging for books and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment